Here are my top 10 signs that you deserve entry into the ‘paranoid working Mum’ club.
- You doubt you actually know your own child and their interests
- You google and read any material you can about high-powered women that have children, which then upsets you as they seem to ‘have it all’.
- Every keyworker handover at nursery is a blur as you’re too busy hugging, cuddling, staring intently at your child to listen to what the adult (who has more than 100 words of vocabulary) is saying.
- You are far more intolerant and impatient at work that you were pre-children.
- Any idea or suggestion you provide at work that is seemingly disregarded becomes a beacon in your brain that is shouting ‘that’s because you aren’t that good at your job anymore’.
- Sending your child to nursery or school when they are a bit under the weather leads to random thoughts of serious illness at least 5 times during the working day and thoughts of impending social worker involvement.
- Your child’s tantrums are researched regularly as you fear they have serious behavioural problems because you are not a stay-at-home Mum.
- Seeing home-made birthday cards presented on the children’s tv channels physically pains you even though you are useless at crafts and probably wouldn’t make one even if you were at home.
- You become interested in political topics such as sexual inequality in the workplace and flexible working.
- Making a decision between getting home to your children and attending a work event causes a dilemma of mammoth proportions and by the time you’ve made the decision, it is too late to accept the event.
Oh, and I’ve thought of an 11.
Other women at work who have children always seem to cope far better than you.
If you resonate with all or some of these, it is ok. You’re not alone. If you have more to add, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Welcome to PWP.